In the 19th century, Malad constituted of Orlem (also known as Valnai) which was a hamlet of just about 12 families. In 1880, Fr. Joseph Maria Braz de Souza built a private chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes at Orlem. In 1882, the chapel was officially declared a part of the Apostolate of Bombay and affiliated to the church of Our Lady of Assumption, Kandivali. Later, Fr. Justin built the first school, the St Anne's High School, in 1915. Through his efforts, Orlem was constituted as a separate parish in a decree dated July 2, 1916.
Other traditionally ancient settlements in Malad were villages occupied by the local East-Indian Community who are known to be the original native inhabitants of Mumbai. These villages include Kharodi, Rathodi, Malwani, Marve and so on. All of these above villages are recognised as an integral part of St. Anthony's Church/Parish which is older than the Our Lady of Lourdes Church/Parish. This can also be seen by noticing the ancient architectural structure of St. Anthony's Church, Malwani. The term 'Malwani' is often mistaken to be the stretch between BMC Colony Gate No. 1 and Gate No. 8 and further extending to MHADA Colony but factually it is only supposed to include BMC Colony, which was populated recently on the outskirts of ancient Malwani area which used to have mangroves, salt-pans and Agricultural land belonging to the local east-Indians of Kharodi Village. Whereas the real Malwani Village is till date located at the place we now call as Malwani Church on Marve Road. Many families like the Kolis, Vaitys, Bhandaris and the Kenis are old residents.
In 1934, Bombay Talkies, the first movie company to be founded in India, was established in Malad by Himanshu Rai and Devika Rani. In 1955, St.Joseph's School was established by Ms. Bertha Pereira. Originally, much of the land in the west was owned by East Indian Catholic families and was used primarily for agriculture. In the 1970s many of them sold their lands to real estate developers. One of the school famous since 18th century in middle of Malwani village area which is located in between Malwani colony & Marve named St. Anthonys High School. The area is located with all fisherman and East Indian community. Prahladrai Dalmia Lions College of Commerce and Economics is the oldest commerce college in the western (beyond Andheri) suburbs of Mumbai. It was established in the year 1972.In the 19th century, Malad constituted of Orlem (also known as Valnai) which was a hamlet of just about 12 families. In 1880, Fr. Joseph Maria Braz de Souza built a private chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes at Orlem.... more